The meaning of the word mantra is unlimited. Each verse of Vedic hymns is also called a mantra. The hymns of the gods and goddesses and the word groups fixed in the Yagya, Havan are also called mantras.
The meaning of the word mantra is unlimited. Each verse of Vedic hymns is also called a mantra. The hymns of the gods and goddesses and the word groups fixed in the Yagya, Havan are also called mantras. The meaning of mantra in Tantra Shastra is different. According to Tantra Shastra, the mantra is called that which the word or group of words represents the deity or power, it is said to be the mantra of that deity or power.
THE DEFINITIONS OF MANTRA GIVEN BY SCOLARS ARE AS FOLLOWS-
1. The power which gives inspiration for attainment of Dharma, Karma and Moksha is called Mantra.
2. The subtle body of the deity or the grace of the presiding deity is called a Mantra. (according to the system)
3. The word Shakti, which is useful in receiving the grace of divine powers, is called Mantra.
4. By awakening the invisible secret power, the method that adapts itself is called Mantra. (according to the system)
5. In this way, the method that develops the secret power is called Mantra.
POINTS TO FOLLOW AT THE TIME OF CHANTING-
The following special time, month, date and constellation should be kept in mind for the practice of Mantra.
1. Best Month - Kartik, Ashwin, Vaishakh, Magha, Margashirsha, Phalgun and Shravan months are best for sadhana.
2. Best Date - Purnima, Panchami, Dwitiya, Saptami, Dashami and Trayodashi are the best dates for chanting the mantra.
3. Uttam Paksha - One should chant the mantra after seeing the auspicious moon and auspicious day in Shukla Paksha.
4. Best Days - Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday are good for chanting mantras.
5. Uttam Nakshatra - Punarvasu, Hasta, all three Uttara, Shravan, Revathi, Anuradha and Rohini constellations are good for mantra accomplishment.
INSTRUMENT POSTURE AND ROSARY IN MANTRA MEDITATION-
Asana - At the time of chanting the mantra, the posture made of mischief, deer skin, tiger and wool is best.
Rosary - Rudraksh, Jayantifal, Basil, Crystal, Ivory, Red coral, Sandalwood and Lotus garland proves the chanting. Rudraksha beads are the best for chanting at home, one hundred times in a cowshed, a thousand times in a virtuous forest or garden and pilgrimage, ten thousand times on a mountain, a million times on a river bank, crores of times in a temple and infinite times near Shiva.
There are three types of chanting - Vocal, Upanshu and Mental. Vaachik chanting is done by speaking slowly. Upanshu-japa is done in such a way that no one else can hear it. The tongue and lips do not move in mental chanting. Of the three chants, the second type is superior to the first and the third type is superior to the second.
Chant should be done in the morning by raising both the hands, in the evening with downwards and in the afternoon by straightening it. Keep the hand near the navel in the morning, near the heart in the midday and parallel to the mouth in the evening.
While chanting, it is necessary to put the right hand in the chanter or cover it with a cloth. For chanting, keeping the rosary on the ring finger, touching it with the thumb, it should be rotated with the middle finger. Do not violate Sumeru. Do not touch the index finger. Rotate the rosary from near Sumeru and chant for the second time. Do not move, tremble, speak, get angry while chanting and do not create any wrong thoughts or feelings in the mind, otherwise there will be no fruit of chanting.